Linking Economics, Technology and Law (Online Course)
This online Summer School will give you a complete immersion into the topic of blockchain from world-leading experts and practitioners in the field. Blockchain-based systems, with cryptocurrencies as the most prominent example, have disrupted and reshaped the way we now think about digital finance and other similar applications, such as supply chains. Blockchain and related technologies allow to store sequential, trustful information without enforced consensus by central authorities or trustees.
For a full understanding of Blockchain, with all its implications and potential for application in practice, it is absolutely crucial to look at it from a multidisciplinary perspective. This is exactly what the UZH Blockchain Center offers during the three weeks of this course: you will understand the three key pillars of blockchain systems, namely the technology, the economics and the legal aspects behind it. Building on this, we will then explore other fields of application, such as forensics and data analytics.
The course is taught by different professors and lecturers from UZH and other leading universities worldwide, as well as top practitioners from various fields.
Further, the program is highly interactive, with hands-on practice sessions incorporating the most advanced and promising blockchain-based platforms.
To participate in this online summer school, you should meet the following entry requirements:
- Study Level: Talented Bachelor students, who have completed their first year of study, as well as Master students. Other applicants might be admitted to the program “sur dossier”.
- Subject Areas: This course is of particular interest to students from the fields of Economics, Finance, Business, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Law. Students from other fields of study with a strong interest in the topic and Data Science who have a strong technical and analytical background are also welcome to apply.
- Prior/Specific Knowledge: Basic knowledge of programming is not required, but desirable.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants must possess a sufficient command of English (broadly CEFR B2 or equivalent) to be able to actively contribute to classes. This needs to be visible from your motivation letter, previous studies or work experience.
Please be aware of the following technical requirements before you apply to this online summer school:
- Computer and Internet Connection: To follow this online summer school, you will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection. Due to daily video conferences, we highly recommend high speed broadband access for the optimal learning experience.
- Access to Learning Platform: The course content will be provided via one learning platform (Microsoft Teams). We will invite you to join this platform before the online summer school starts. Some livestreams might be provided over Zoom. Make sure these applications work on your computer / in your region. (Please note that we cannot provide technical support during the online summer schools.)
Fees and Discounts
The regular fee for this summer school is 1,500 Swiss Francs.
- The tuition fee includes: all teaching lessons (incl. live sessions, podcasts, group assignments etc.) and the final assessment; a digital social program that will foster your intercultural competence; a final certificate and a transcript indicating the credits earned in the program.
- Scholarships: Generous discounts are available for students from certain partner universities. Once we have received your full application, we will notify you of any potential discounts available to you.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion and a Transcript of Records (stating your grade with “pass” or “fail”) at the end of the summer school. In order to get the 6 ECTS credits for this summer school, you will have to:
- Prepare properly before the start of the program (estimated workload: max. 20 hours). Instructions and a reading list will be sent to you by the end of May.
- Participate actively in the daily interactive live sessions (hands-on sessions / Q&A / mentoring and wrap-up sesssions).
- Watch all podcast sessions in accordance with the schedule.
- Engage actively in your study group.
- Hand in your final project in time.
In response to the global situation with COVID-19, we will not be able to host our summer schools with a physical presence of students.This summer program will be provided online.
- Dates: 4 – 23 July 2021
- Hosting Institute: UZH Blockchain Center
- Course Director: Prof. Dr. Claudio J. Tessone
- Language of Instruction: English
- Open to: Advanced Bachelor students and Master students
- Credits: 6 ECTS
- Grading: pass or fail
- Tuition Fee: 1,500 Swiss Francs (excl. discounts)
Speakers and Industry Partners
International Relations Office